Cluster Community System (CluCS) solution
Market sector: Logistic services demand and offer in the Cluster geographic area (Proximity Terminal Network)
CluCS can be defined as a “physical platform”, as it offers services strictly related to physical facilities (PTN) and within defined geographical boundaries.
Client profile: Shippers, Logistic Services Providers (LSP) and Freight Forwarders active in a Cluster
The targeted clients are companies of various sizes. For SMEs, CluCS provides an opportunity to digitise their transport chain making them more competitive. For large companies, that mostly have their own transportation management systems, CluCS will have to be integrated with such systems. Therefore, the cost of integration will have to be minimized and clearly outweighed by CluCS tangible benefits.
Problem to solve: Lack of coordination among LSP operating in the Cluster network of hubs, terminals and infrastructures, leading to the following problems:
- underutilised terminal capacity by shippers, both handling and storage areas;
- lack of synergies to develop common value-added services,
- limited volumes to implement fully efficient intermodal transport connections from Cluster’s hubs to key external destinations;
- lack of synchronised operation of transport and logistics services at Cluster level, limiting responsiveness and increasing delays and waiting times at nodes;
- higher costs due to missing consolidation of shipments and under-optimised load factors.
Business opportunity: There are favourable political and socio-economic conditions to the creation of logistics Clusters, opening up opportunities for CluCS application:
- Aggregation of terminal networks to better organize intermodal flows
- Initiatives aiming at Europe-wide coordination of terminals
- National policies to strengthen the role of ports as central hubs for the aggregation and coordination of terminal networks in the port hinterland
Value Proposition: Better co-ordination and optimisation of logistic resources and infrastructures in a Cluster. CluCS enables collaborative booking and planning of transport, handling and value-added services in the Cluster. This produces the following benefits:
- Reduced logistics costs, due to consolidation of shipments;
- Shorter lead times, due to synchronised multimodal solutions;
- Increased volumes;
- Increased reliability, due to visibility and monitoring functions at Cluster level
Solution: CluCS is an IT platform enabling integrated management of the Cluster available resources and the synchronization of operations in the Cluster network of hubs, terminals an warehouses. CluCS provides functions on three main levels:
- Shippers can visualise and book services, while LSPs can publish and make their services available
- CluCS enables cargo bundling at cluster level, integrating transport services with terminal operations and value-added services.
- Monitoring. Supporting notification of unexpected events, and dynamic re-planning and execution